The Costa del Sol is one of the areas of the Mediterranean coast that attracts the most tourism throughout the year. On its beaches the sun shines more than 300 days a year and we can find towns for all types of travelers. If we want luxury and glamour, Marbella is our destination. Fuengirola offers an ideal stay for families looking for something quieter. Benalmádena famous for its wide range of theme parks. And finally Torremolinos, the preferred destination for the gay community. We cannot forget Nerja, Torrox, Mijas, Estepona, Manilva or Casares, in all of them we will find the charm of the towns on the south coast of Spain and we will be able to spend a dream vacation.
BEACHES ON THE COSTA DEL SOL
The Costa del Sol is a special area. From Manilva to Nerja we find 161km of coastline. Each of its coastal towns has beaches with a special charm. We can divide three different zones:
Beaches in Malaga Capital: Easily accessible urban beaches with all the necessary services for a few days off. Malagueta beach is the best known and also the closest to the city center, although Pedregalejo Beach, located in a traditional fishing neighborhood to the east of the capital, also has a special charm. We won't be able to leave the area without trying the espetos, sardines skewered on a skewer and grilled over embers on the beach.
Beaches on the west coast of the capital: In this area we find the most important tourist centers of the Costa del Sol, 90 km of beaches equipped with all the necessary services to make our experience unforgettable. The municipalities of Torremolinos, Fuengirola, Benalmádena, Mijas, Estepona, Manilva, Casares and especially Marbella have the best offer of sun and beaches in southern Spain. Noteworthy are the beaches of Los Boliches in Fuengirola or Malapesquera in Benalmádena.
Young people in search of nightlife prefer La Playa de los Álamos in Torremolinos. In this area, the trendy beach clubs guarantee fun during the day and at night.
If, on the other hand, we prefer quieter areas where we can relax and disconnect from the hustle and bustle of the people, we should go to the natural environment of the Artona Dunes in Cabopino (Marbella) where we will discover the quiet Playa de Artola.
Beaches on the east coast of the capital: The beaches in this area are different from those at the other end of the coast. Here we will find beaches with steep cliffs and beautiful coves with views of the sea and the mountains. It is a less crowded area than the one to the west, although at some time of the year its beaches are also full.
Nerja, Torrox, Velez-Malaga or Rincon de la Victoria are the most important and visited municipalities in the area. Due to its geographical location, Torrox is considered one of the towns with the best climate in Europe. To highlight the beaches of Torrox or Burriana Beach in Nerja.
The Costa del Sol is one of the most important tourist areas in Spain and the Mediterranean. It offers a wide range of accommodation, as well as 15 marinas, excellent and numerous golf courses, sports facilities, casinos and Michelin-starred restaurants for the most gourmet visitors.
MAIN TOURIST CENTERS IN COSTA DEL SOL.
- Malaga. The City of Malaga is the capital of the Costa del Sol and one of the most visited and popular destinations due to the wide range of leisure activities it offers.
In addition to its popular beaches, we can discover its 2,000 years of history by visiting the Alcazaba, the Cathedral, the Gibralfaro Castle or the Roman Theatre. We also find important museums such as the Pompidou Museum, the Carmen Thyssen Museum or the Picasso Museum where we will learn about the life and work of a great painter. And after our cultural route we will walk through the busy and elegant Calle Larios.
- Marbella. Known worldwide, the city of Marbella is one of the most exclusive holiday destinations in Europe. Every year the rich and famous arrive here, docking their luxurious yachts in Puerto Banus.
The city combines more exclusive areas with luxury villas, with the original charm that emanates from its historic center. Traditional white and narrow streets preserve the essence of the fishing villages of southern Spain.
- Mijas. Beautiful town located on a hill with magnificent views of the Mediterranean. Narrow streets with white houses typical of southern Spain that contrast with pots of colored flowers that decorate all the streets of the town. Apart from the charm of its streets, the town of Mijas is known for the donkey-taxi that take visitors through its steep streets.
- Caves of Nerja. In the northern area of the town of Nerja we find one of the great archaeological sites in southern Spain. Las Cuevas de Nerja is a large cavity with cave paintings considered to be one of the oldest in Spain. Inside we also find what is considered one of the largest columns created by the union of stalactites and stalagmites in the world, as well as a large theater-room where music festivals are held.
- Benalmádena. Benalmadena has become an essential visit point thanks to its port. Since its inauguration, thanks to its beautiful design and beauty, it has not stopped receiving praise and awards. Although its historic center overflows with peace and tranquility when we walk through its streets of white houses full of colored flowers hanging from the balconies. In the center of the historic center there is a viewpoint from which you can see beautiful views of the Costa del Sol.
But if we want the best views of the entire Costa del Sol we must take the Benalmádena Cable Car to climb Mount Calamorro. A journey in glass cabins of about 15 minutes will raise us to 769 meters from where on clear days we can see the African coast. At the summit, different walkways offer us panoramic views of the entire coast. There is also an area where we can see a show of birds of prey with eagles, hawks, vultures and owls.
Finally, Benalmádena also offers fun for the whole family at Tivoli World, a park with more than 30 attractions for all tastes; roller coaster, giant ferris wheel, horror house, mystery ship, tourist train, bumper cars and many other attractions.
- Torremolinos, Estepona, Fuengirola or Rincon de la Victoria are other towns that you must visit if you spend a few days on the Costa del Sol. Its beaches and historic centers are well worth a walk through its streets full of maritime atmosphere and Andalusian style.
-Golf Coast. This area is also known by this nickname since on the Costa del Sol we find one of the largest concentrations of golf courses in Europe. Marbella wins the crown with 21 courses, in Mijas 11 courses, in Estepona 10 courses, in San Roque 9 courses, in Benahavis 6 courses, in Malaga 3 courses, in Benalmádena, Rincon de la Victoria and Casares 2 courses and 1 course. in Manilva, Fuengirola, Vélez-Malaga and Nerja. Other towns in the interior of the province also have their own golf course.
- Sighting of mammals. The area of the Strait of Gibraltar is a passageway for the migration of mammals between the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. Bottlenose dolphins, killer whales and sperm whales are the most common. There are different companies in the Costa del Sol area that offer this type of excursion, although we have already warned you that the sighting of these species is not guaranteed on all outings. Luck is a very important factor, but fun is guaranteed.
Here we have the main tourist attractions of the Costa del Sol. But if we have a few days off and want to explore the surroundings of this area a little more, we can always go to Ronda, one of the jewels of Andalusia with its 100-meter-high bridge. . Walking along a path located in a gorge with footbridges hanging from the rock of Caminito del Rey is another of the most popular excursions. But our recommendation is that we dedicate a day to travel to Granada and visit the Alhambra, an essential visit to discover one of the most beautiful sunsets that we can see on the planet.
From Shuttleasy we offer you a safe and quality transfer to all places of interest on the Costa del Sol. We work with professional drivers who know the area. Do not hesitate to ask us for a quote for your transfers from Malaga Airport to your hotel or apartment.
Shuttleasy transfer. Low cost transfers from Malaga Airport to Marbella, Mijas, Nerja, Benalmadena, Torremolinos, Estepona, Fuengirola, Rincon de la Victoria and all towns on the Costa del Sol.